Sunday, June 19, 2011

Huckin' Fillbillys and Rock Steady, Conneaut Lake, PA

6/18/2011
I've always had good luck with classic rock cover bands at The Beach Club at Conneaut Lake and last night proved to be no major exception. The first video is of a band called Hucking Fillbillys (how clever) out of Youngstown, Ohio. I have to give this band credit for bringing a huge support crew and putting on a show with all the gadgets (dry ice, laser lights, etc.) that  have become associated with "rock" shows. The band is actually pretty effective although a whole night of this kind of posturing could become annoying.


After the Fillbillys decided to take a break I ventured down the road to Fairway 12 where much to my surprise they had  a stripped down power trio holding court. I found this group interesting simply because the lead singer was also the drummer. I can't imagine the physical dexterity it must take to do both things at the same time. But maybe that is because I am a clumsy idiot. Speaking of idiots, you will notice one jump up on the bandstand about halfway through this video. It got worse later as four or five of these guys jumped up on the bandstand and started picking up random guitars that weren't being used. If it was me I would have kicked them in the gonads but this band was surprisingly cool about it all.


All in all this was a pretty typical night of rock, rowdiness and rednecks at Conneaut Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment