Saturday, May 21, 2011

A street party and beyond in downtown Pittsburgh, PA

5/19/2011

     Friday night was one of the first nights of decent weather we have had in months so even though there were no major musical events scheduled, it seemed like a good time to hit downtown Pittsburgh. First I went to the street party that is usually given by the Pittsburgh Pirates on 6th Street before each baseball game. I have no interest in sitting through a baseball game but I am always up for a good street party. A section of the street was cordoned off for alcohol sales and a band was place in a tent in the center of this area. I honestly don't remember the name of this band but that might be just as well as they are not very good although enthusiastic and at least they are dressed appropriately.



My next stop was the Backstage Bar in Theatre Square. This is a small bar connected to a theater that is used for small musicals and revues. The bar generally features jazz during Happy Hour only so as not to conflict with the theater next door. The band performing this evening featured some smooth jazz, maybe a little too smooth for my taste, but they were still entertaining.



The band featured below was playing in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel next to a bar called Andy's (in honor of Andrew Carnegie). I had never heard of this bar or hotel before and just happened to be walking by when I heard them so this was a pleasant surprise. I don't have a video of it but later the singer was wandering all over the lobby interacting with people and generally making a nuisance of herself. (By the way, this hotel is beautiful. I wish I could afford to stay at it someday.)



I chose to end the evening by giving NOLA on the Square a second chance. This visit was far more successful than the last. I had the Shrimp and Grits which were very good although not as good as some I had had in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The musical act this night was The Olga Watkins band. They bill themselves as a blues band although they are closer to R&B/pop in my opinion. However, this video show them interpreting an old blues classic, Stormy Monday. You will notice in the background that they opened up the windows on the front of the restaurant and this gave the place a much more open feel. In all this was an eclectic but fairly successful night of music searching in Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

  1. I really miss the backstage bar. I really, really do. By far and away my favorite spot in Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete